Wednesday, January 03, 2007

People who sing

One more thing. This has always bothered me, and maybe you will agree (by you I mean, of course, one of our many many readers):

People who can sing think everyone else should be able to sing too, and are offended when they cannot.

Right? I have a lot of friends who can sing, choir and all that, and my sister sings as well. But many of them, many of them, honestly beleive that singing is perfectly natural and that if you are among the 80% of human beings who can't sing, there something wrong with you. The basic conversation goes something like this:

"You have vocal chords dont you? Thats all you need to sing!"
You have legs, can you break dance!? Yeah, I have vocal chords to talk and sometimes make funny noises, but that's about it, chick.

"Singing is natural, everyone sings!"
This one is just a lie. Singing is great, I'm a big fan, but not everyone sings. examples of people who probably don't sing: the president of iran, gahndi (he is dead), the pope, accountants, characters from star wars movies, the list goes on...

"Its not as hard as you think, if you audition I'm sure you can get into the choir!"
Maybe, friend (the italics shows strain), but I do not desire (there is is again) to be a member (veins are popping out of my neck) of the choir. Please leave me alone and stop tugging on my sleeve.

"Ok, just try it!"
Fine! "la la La LA LA!!"

"Wow. That was really off key"
I don't know what that means.

"Oh my God!! How do you not know what key is?!" (as if I'm half a man for not knowing)
A key is something that opens a door. Go home.

They assume shit like arpeggios are common knowlege. Its not right. Back me up on this one, oleg.

Tag: , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that post was amazing. i laughed so much. it's so true..and i sing!

Mia said...

Ahhh singing is a beautiful thing. Not everyone can do it nor should everyone try. I've watched American Idol I know what happens when bad vocal chords are allowed to rule, it's kind of like bad dancing. It's sickening but you just can't look away.

Anonymous said...

okay first of all.. im Carl, Oleg knew me in bahrain... (a looser without a website or google/blogger; not that experienced in this blogging business)

to the real thing i was supposed to say:

when i was younger i thought i could sing... but i have realized i cant... sad story it was (wow; i cant tpe either.. the yoda in me is back) worse than santa claus(e? swedes...) and every time i try it sounds like i am going through puberty all over again..

the worst thing is that my whole family sings. i apparently got the bad end in the gene lottery.
theres one annoying thing though i think i can sing but i know i cant. it really doesnt make sence but thats the way it is. karaoke... thats horrible. small animals die when i sing through a speaker. but they are lucky compared to the people around who will be scarred for life.

i have now taken a celibacy oath from karaoke on request.

now ive rambled on for too long and should get to the point. which is: i agree.

great blog by the way

oleg said...

sarah: thats right. tell your friends friends friends (check the statcounter). the funniest shit is here.

mia: i look away EEEEEEASILY.

carl:

tpe : type

claus : clause (clauss is a german name)

sence : sense

and i KNOW you right clicked cellibassee in word and (somehow) got celibacy...

you were never a good singer. its true. i knew that. many people did really...you didnt. glad you saw the light my friend. keep up the good spelling. you were never good with that either...